Sunday, November 18, 2007

To The Top Again


In my last post I mentioned a hike up Taylor Canyon. Four and a half months ago I hiked on that trail to the top of Malan Height and the next day I couldn't sit for more than a few minutes at a time. That began a months-long debacle with my lower back that was about as scary a health issue I've ever personally experienced.

The hike had nothing to do with the infection in my spine, but during the weeks of being a near--actually I was a genuine invalid--just not permanently so, I wondered sometimes if I'd ever again have the simple pleasure of hiking to the top of Malan Height. Well, yesterday I finished my chores and drove to the top of 27th St. in Ogden with the intent to hike at least to the overlook on the Malan Basin Trail. Well, it was a nice day, and when I got to the overlook I felt good and had some daylight left so I continued. Before I knew it I was at the top. What an incredible rush! When I was released from the care of Dr. Winters, the neurosurgeon who took care of me, he told me I could do what I felt I could do physically, but not to be discouraged if it took six months or longer to really get to feeling like I was on the mend. So even though the Malan Height hike is just a 2 1/2 hour exercise hike, I felt like I had accomplished a lot.

It's two miles one way to the top and you'll put 2000 ft underneath you in the process. Good exercise and a great view for a reward.

No comments: