Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Back to the gym today. It would have been a great day for a hike, but I needed to restart my weight training. I haven't done lower body resistance training since by back got buggered. I did a verrrry light workout.
The first time I did resistance training outside of school was when I got the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips. I'm a semi-believer in what he says. I won't summarize. The book's worth the read. Anyway he advocates all-out resistance exercises as in 4 sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps, followed by two sets with low weight but high reps until your muscles are shot. It's a good system for building strength and mass. Just don't start right in and do it your first day. I did it and was in pain the next day. On the second day I couldn't move. Take a month or six weeks and build up to this kind of self-abuse. I hope he mentions this in any second editions.
So today I just did a couple of sets for each muscle group until I felt that glow that comes before the actual burn. This way, when I do get back to all-out workouts, my muscles will be in a recovering mode and I won't debilitate myself.
Followed the weight training with a half hour of treadmill and audio book. Boring. But I did my duty to myself.

No comments: