Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Committee Expands


Today's exercise was another walk on the Shoreline Trail. It has been drizzling lightly all day and I got sprinkled a couple of times on the hike. I much prefer that to drowning in my own sweat when it's 100 degrees outside. As you can see, the view across the valley was mixed; mostly low, dark clouds but with enough sun poking through the holes to light up parts of the scene, especially over the lake. It was hard to capture the mood of the afternoon with my little camera, and shrinking the photo to fit the website won't help. You know the type of afternoon; sullen, with shafts of light that make parts of the valley floor shine silvery against the otherwise dark landscape. It was an altogether satisfying way to spend an hour.

The bench in the photo was probably put there by a scout working on his Eagle rank. Fifteen minutes spent on that bench can bring you the solution to lots of the world's problems. Today I didn't sit down. I was in a hurry to get to a meeting, and besides, the rain had dampened it to the point of being uninviting.

Our high adventure committee expanded this evening. We met with the Camp Loll committee chairman, Kim Bott. He brought lots of great ideas to the table. Foremost of these in my opinion, was an enthusiasm to create a "journey" for units preparing to participate in the treks. He even mentioned, prominently, the need to become physically fit in order to enjoy the adventures.

A week into my "fitness journey", I've lost 2 lbs. I still have a few to go.

No comments: