Monday, May 19, 2008

It's Hot

I headed up to my "default" trail this afternoon. The oaks are now fully leafed-out in the foothills and the underbrush is green and lush. It's very summer out there right now. I was in shorts and I had a liter of water with me and my feet just sort of took the rest of me along on a hike that ended up much longer than I had intended. I got to the switchback at the top of Fern Valley and went a little ways along the ridge separating Beus Canyon from Birch Creek Canyon. Last Monday I had a similar experience of being "taken" for a hike and got to the same spot before I managed to turn around. It was still quite snowy. A week makes a big difference.
I got an email today from a volunteer who sent a link to an amazing video of a guy who also took a hike. It's a little long, but if you like to hike, it'll blow you away. It's some place in Spain where apparently, they have managed to actually kill all the lawyers. Follow this link: http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562

1 comment:

Tiff Gatten said...

Hi, you don’t know me.....but, I googled “how long is the hike to Malan’s Peak, and I somehow ended up on your blog. I read it and really enjoyed it. I love all the pics and the hike info, and your view on the gym. lol. I live in Syracuse, but I go to the O.A.C. in Ogden, so it’s hard to talk myself into going sometimes.

Anyhow, I hiked Malan’s on Monday (if you know how long it is from 29 up and bak I’d love to know), and I run it, the shore line, and Buses pretty often, but I’ve never done the Waterfall, and you’ve inspired me to do so. I only have one question.....If I’m a little afraid of heights....will I be in trouble? You know the part of Malan’s where there’s the little waterfall below, and the trail is washed out a little bit? I have to get my courage up and just leap. My husband shakes his head every time because he thinks it’s so dumb, but I’m afraid. So, do you think I can do it?

Also, I was curious how your weight loss went in the past year. I just wanted to give you kudos, and say keep up the good work.

Tiffany