Wednesday, May 7, 2008

April Showers in May



When I left work today the sky was heavy with rain. On my way to the Beus Trail head there were a few splats on the windshield but it hadn't actually started raining in earnest. Of course as soon as I started hiking...

It didn't last long. At least not the real rain. After a minute or two it settled down to just a drizzle. The walk was actually very pleasant. It always smells good in the rain. And the colors are vivid, if a little dark. Because of the weather, I decided to stay in the canyon and hope I got a good workout before I hit snow. I made it all the way to Fern Valley before a few drifts started to appear on the North-facing slopes of the canyon. At the mouth of the canyon the leaves are out full, except for the oak, which is just beginning to leaf out. As I hiked higher, spring got newer and newer, until the leaves were just buds again. The little creek is running high but mostly clear. It was a great walk.

Yesterday I hiked up Taylor Canyon to the overlook on the first switchback. I was in snow from just past the spring until the trail came out of the trees at the end of the switchback. It was really a glorious day. There were kids rock climbing across the canyon on the Schoolroom Wall and everywhere I could see a trail I saw hikers and bikers. It was that kind of day. One that insisted that everyone get outside and drink it in.

Today I was completely alone. (rare) Just me and my cell phone--just in case. It was a different kind of glorious.

No comments: