Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Nearly Summer on the Shoreline Trail


Today I took out my camera and took a picture of something novel: The last real snowfield on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail--at least the portion between the Beus Canyon Trail and 12th Street. I can't speak for the North Ogden segment since I haven't walked on it for a couple of years now. I don't miss the snow. If I did, I only have to go strait in Beus Canyon instead of left and in a few minutes I'd be right back into winter. I'm going to give that route a rest for a bit more. I walked it a couple of weeks ago and was in deep snow after 200 yards. I'm sure that's changed, but I'm also sure I'd be slipping and sliding before I made it to the little cascade that marks the 30 minute point. (For me.) Walking on cold, soft snow isn't bad. And with crampons, even ice can be dealt with. But hard spring snow with a mushy layer on top of an uneven base just takes it out of you.


Anyway, this snow is endangered. I can actually kick up dust while I'm walking. All of the trees except the oak and a couple of walnut near the trail head are beginning to leaf out. Even the Mule's Ears are putting out leaves and flower buds. I actually saw a few Allium blooming today. The only thing I need to see to prove that spring is actually here is a rattlesnake.

No comments: