Monday, April 7, 2008

Near Melted


It's been fun to hike the same trail day after day for the past few weeks. I've been watching the snow retreating each time I go up and I'll have to admit, even though I love the snow, it's great watching it disappear. There's still a lot left on the north-facing slopes but it's completely consolidated and firm and so walking on it has been no problem. I can cover ground just as fast on the snow as on the bare trail.

I've learned that you use different muscles when you walk on bare ground versus on the snow. I can feel the burn in my hamstrings as opposed to my thighs. Interesting huh? I don't think so either but it came to mind on a day where not much else did. I gotta say, even though it's nice to see the snow retreating, what is emerging is pretty...dreary. No leaves on anything and the ground looks blasted by winter. Still, it beats the gym. And so I'll walk until spring turns the grey and brown green. And then I'll walk some more until it's hot enough that I feel like finding some snow up high to walk in again.

No comments: