Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ice Feathers and Frozen Toes




I can't get my little Subaru in the parking lot at the Beus Canyon Trail Head because it gets high-centered in the snow berm the plow throws up over the entrance and so I've been concentrating on Taylor Canyon at the top of 27th St.


It's been beautiful for the past few days. Lots of new snow and cold cold cold. I haven't been walking up the canyon itself. I've been veering off to the right and angling up the mountain on the trail that leads to Waterfall Canyon. I actually made a loop the other day; going to Waterfall on the upper trail and then returning to Taylor on the lower one. It took me about an hour and a half because I was on breakable crust for about a third of the way.


Today I only had a little time so I hiked to an overlook above the condominiums at the top of 29th street and then returned. There was 6-8 inches of new, powdery snow and the top of this new layer was covered with ice crystals that were shaped like the tips of feathers. The sun sparkled off of them big-time but I won't say it looked like diamonds. It did, but saying so would be trite.

No comments: